Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Turtles and race cars

Week two seems to be going slower than week one. In actuality, nothing has changed except his level of motivation. I feel like he's traded himself in for a turtle. I miss the race car that was making its rounds last week. I like breezing through things, it gives us more time to do special projects.

Monday was fine. Language Arts has always been his best subject when it comes to getting the work done in a timely manner. I wanted to blame it on being Monday, eager to get back to the daily grind, but that didnt make much sense. I am pleased that he was able to complete an entire workbook.

Monday evening after dinner we picked up his new glasses. I had to laugh because he hadnt realized how poorly he saw until he got them. I knew that he was having confusion regarding some letters but I suppose that he thought it was normal. It was pretty funny when he said, "Wow! I can see this teeny tiny word! It says...." all the way home. Small things to be thankful for, right?

Everybody seems to think that his glasses look cute. I like them but they remind me of the Army issued "BCGs." Like father, like son? I have a pretty funny picture of Josh wearing the Army issued spectacles. He'd probably beat me if I posted the picture. Hehe :)

Yesterday (Tuesday) seemed to begin with bad news. I had a hard time getting Aidan to focus but he finished half of a book by lunchtime. We ran a bunch of errands, came home, and had plans to finish the rest. Dinnertime came and went, he left to go somewhere with Josh, and by the time he'd gotten back the interest was gone. I think he did all but three or four pages before I sent his cranky behind to bed.

This morning, I wanted him to complete the book and begin his normal assignments. Arguments and whining ensued. Why is it that he has to fight me on this? We had a little talk, I had asked what was wrong and why was he acting the way that he was? No headway was made. :(

My problem with this is that I was very excited, prematurely it would seem, for this school year. I thought that his momentum was fantastic. I had hoped we'd keep it up. I feel let down. I shouldnt be upset by this, he is on target. I dont know what else to do right now. When his drive is down, how do I boost him? We've done lots of little projects and supplemental activities.

I should mention that the lessons he is working on right now seem to be reviews of last year. It bores him to death. I dont want to skip it, he could use a refresher. I 've just got a stubborn boy on my hands. I knew this before I started. Unfortunately, knowledge doesnt smooth over the rough edges.

Today is definitely one of those Tomorrow, youre going back to public school! days.

Maybe tomorrow will be better.

2 comments:

ElleSquared said...

There isn't a space on your other blog for comments. Not sure why, but I wanted to reply to your comment. I was a little nervous about being able to keep up with Project 365, but because it's a scrapbook project as well as a photography project and I've already done most of the grunt work in preparation for the album, I think I may be able to keep up with it more, because otherwise, I stayed up til 3 a.m. cutting paper just for the hell of it. And I don't like the sound of that. :)

ElleSquared said...

Wow that was a run-on sentence from hell.